Saturday, January 01, 2011

a conversation with epiphany

“Jesus shows himself precisely present in those who are absent.” –Gustavo Gutierrez



Magi

We are;
King
I am not
Clinging
This Arabian Sea
Of bitter wind
Of torrid sand
Of jealous star
I ponder


This Eastward summons

Eclipsed
By the long shadow of history
Of suffering
Of toil
The rise and fall
Of civilizations all
Its brunt
Shouldered by those
Underneath.


Oh

This dusty
Sacred day
Poised between
Now and then!
Will You split human history
Between suffering
And bliss?
Will You burn war-weathered boots
And bloodstained clothes?

I tread this holy, earthen
Beckoning:


I believe!

And seek You
As You seek those
Who are
Absent.


And with each coursing

Of my blood
I grip Your radiance:


You

Stretch the dawn
Across Middle Eastern sky;


You

Descend like morning dew
And blanket our quivering;


You

Dress in human flesh
And to a weary world


You

Shout
Salvation
With faint
And feeble cry.



sjb

1/1/11
Every warrior's boot used in battle and every garment rolled in blood
will be destined for burning will be fuel for the fire. For unto us a child is born… - Isaiah 9:5-6

1 comment:

Stephanie Goins said...

Beautiful Stephan. What a way you have, expressing the humility and love of Jesus.